Some pupils display considerable talent in their chosen sport. Those who demonstrate significant skill, a very high level of proficiency and prowess in at least one of Epsom’s team sports, may apply for a sports scholarship.
These pupils should ordinarily have played at regional and/or national level. Furthermore, they will be expected to take a leading role in the sporting programme of the school.
Sports scholarships are available to current and prospective pupils who also meet Epsom’s academic criteria.
Sports Scholars enjoy:
- Entry to the Epsom College Sports’ Academy
- Access to world-class coaches and facilities
- Access to strength and conditioning performance programmes
- Intelligent pathways which bridge the gap between school and university and senior sport
A candidate’s skills will be assessed in the following manner:
- watching them play in a competitive situation (where possible);
- written references from their school coach, and regional/club coach;
- a visit to Epsom College in Malaysia when their skills and fitness will be assessed;
- an informal interview with the Director of Sports; and,
- a formal interview with the Headmaster or Second Master.
Retention of the award will be dependent on consistently excellent performance levels, exemplary conduct during training and competition, and if appropriate to the sport concerned, evidence of good contributions to team spirit. If awarded, they will be acting as role models for their peers, and as such high levels of motivation and commitment to training and competition are expected. All applications are to be accompanied by a reference from the candidate’s Head of Department.
The Application Form can be downloaded here:
The completed form, together with the required supporting documents, should be sent by post or hand delivered to Epsom College in Malaysia, for the attention of the Director of Sports.