The Department for Academic Support believes that all pupils can improve and achieve given the appropriate support for their special educational need and disability (SEND).
At Epsom College, qualified and experienced specialist teachers are able to provide for a wide variety of mild SEND, including:
- DCD (developmental coordination disorder/dyspraxia)
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- and other behavioural, emotional, and social needs.
The generic provision is one of personalised learning. Teaching programmes are customised and take various forms depending on need. These can include:
- literacy or spelling programmes
- touch-typing and organisational support
- support programmes for pupils with ADHD
- exam and revision technique
- study skills and time management.
Integral to our success with pupils, is close liaison with parents, Housemasters, Housemistresses, tutors, subject staff, the Medical Centre and other agencies.
The Department maintains a SEND Register of all pupils with special educational needs, including EAL. This list includes a description of the pupil’s need, and strategies for supporting the pupil in class.
All information is highly confidential on a ‘need to know’ basis.