By nature, these awards will be made to candidates who demonstrate significant skill, and a very high level of proficiency and prowess in at least one of Epsom College in Malaysia’s team sports. These pupils should ordinarily have represented the region or national level, and will be expected to play a leading role in the sporting programme of the School. Sportsmanship, and a tenacious approach are qualities, which are highly regarded. Current or prospective pupils must meet the academic criteria.
Sport Scholars require:
- A genuine love of sport
- Speed, agility, balance and co-ordination
- Good spatial awareness
- A sound understanding of games tactics
- A positive attitude to training and open-minded approach to coaching
- The demeanour to be an ambassador for Epsom College in Malaysia at all times
- Focus sports – High proficiency in Rugby, Basketball, Football, Cricket, Athletics, Netball, Swimming
- Or Junior International/aspiring Junior International to act as ambassador for ECiM in other sports
In return Scholars enjoy:
- Entry to Epsom College Sports Academy
- Access to world-class coaches and facilities
- Access to strength and conditioning performance programmes
- Intelligent pathways which bridge the gap between school and university and senior sport
- A genuine interest in pupil development
Epsom College in Malaysia sport aims to support applications from boys and girls who believe they have considerable sporting potential and who would thrive on the combination of a first-class academic and sporting education.
Candidates' skills will be assessed in the following manner:
- watching them play in a competitive situation (where possible);
- written references from their school coach, and regional/club coach;
- a visit to Epsom College in Malaysia when their skills and fitness will be assessed;
- an informal interview with the Director of Sports;
- a formal interview with the Headmaster or Second Master.
Retention of the award will be dependent on consistently excellent performance levels, exemplary conduct during training and competition, and if appropriate to the sport concerned, evidence of good contributions to team spirit. It is given, that they will be acting as role models for their peers, and as such high levels of motivation and commitment to training and competition are expected. All applications are to be accompanied by a reference from the candidate's Head of Department.
Download the application form here and submit the completed forms together with the required supporting documents by post or hand delivered to Epsom College in Malaysia, for the attention of the Director of Sports.